29 czerwca 2005

 

It Ain't Great, But I'll Take It

Monday night, during break from calculus class, I bought a soda from a vending machine. I think it was Mountain Dew. The machine spat out a Mountain Dew and a Diet Pepsi. I ended up giving the Diet Pepsi away to one of my classmates. Of course, it was a woman. I don't think I've ever met a man that drinks Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke, but not Diet Pepsi.

Anyhow, I thought that getting random free sodas would be a good omen for the rest of the week. Not so. I'll have to stick with sheep entrails and comets for omens, I guess.


Actually, the class is a bit unusual because it is more than half women. In most of the math or science classes I have taken, women have been rather scarce, or even non-existent. I also have yet to have a female instructor in any of these classes.

There is one woman in the class that I prejudged. She was always way overdressed, sort of looked like Laura Flynn Boyle on The Practice. When I would ask questions in class, she would shake her head as if to say, "you again?" All of this while she sat right in front of me.

I can't remember why we started talking. Turns out, she is a civil engineer, so she dresses like a professional rather than a student because...well...she's a professional. She has a sense of humor, even though I judged her as humorless when I first saw her.

One thing worries about her though. She is getting a graduate degree but because of some weird technicality, she has to take undergraduate calculus classes. She told me that "we never use calculus in civil engineering." Um, could you please tell me which bridges you are responsible for so I can avoid them?

I never did find out why she shakes her head when I ask a question.


You people disappoint me. I pour my heart out to you but no replies. The only recent one I got was from Josep Sałaty (you like the way I disguised your identity?). I think he was half asleep when he wrote it.

I even up put a nude picture of Brandi Chastain, but still no reaction. I heard that nudity is very controversial and would generate all sorts of buzz.

All my MLS talk must have lulled y'all to sleep.


Ivanna S. Pankin of Arizona Roller Derby has sent out an official announcement:


With our 2nd Season wrapped up and a mere 4 or 5 wretched months left of
Arizona summer, we had to find trouble somewhere! So we challenged
Tucson Roller Derby's SADDLETRAMPS, the best of their best, to a game
against our TENT CITY TERRORS. Both teams, you may remember, went up
against the Texas Rollergirls last Fall, and learned a thing or two from the
experience. Now each league has several more home team games under their belts – so DON'T MISS this chance to see them go head to head!
If you think ASU versus U of A is a rivalry, try to imagine the grudge match
between TRD and AZRD – after all, we're actually FROM our respective cities!

Castle Sports Club (602)331-2582
11420 N. 19th Ave N of
Peoria,
Phoenix
Doors at 7, game at 8
Beer w/ valid ID to benefit
TCH

I haven't yet seen this at the Tucson Roller Derby site, but I've talked to a couple of them and they seem to be jazzed about this bout. The only bout I've seen this year between Tucson and Phoenix clubs was between Vice Squad and Surly Gurlies, which ended up being a blowout 102-43. So, I'm expecting this one to be, I dunno, U of A vs ASU basketball rather than football.

This Saturday is the TRD benefit carwash at the Sonic Drive-In near 12th and Valencia. Come by and then you can visit with my grandmother, who lives about three blocks away.

UPDATE: The location of the carwash has been changed to: 1001 W. Grant (next to Bladeworld)


Do zobaczenia. Hasta la proxima.

Comments:
I like to lurk and I miss your posts when you wait DAYS to do another one. ::sigh:: There. Does that help?

Oh, the nude pictures are great on the coworkers here. These guys love it. I have yet to hear from the gestapo in IT yet, so I guess they're tasteful enough. :)
 
Anything with Brandi Chastain is tasteful.
 
geezzz ted, enough with the NSFW pictures.
 
Okay Annie Mous...what is NSFW?
 
not safe for work, you art connoisseur, you
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?