29 stycznia 2009

 

Snow Days

Barack Obama was shocked that folks in DC can't handle a little snow and ice. Money quote:

My children's school was canceled today, because of what, some ice?" Obama said during a photo opportunity with economic leaders, who began chuckling. "As my children pointed out, in Chicago, school is never canceled. In fact, my 7-year-old pointed out that you go out for recess. You wouldn't even stay indoors.


Back when I worked at AOL, the stated closings policy was if the federal government was closed due to weather, then AOL folks had the day off. The policy was written for the folks at corporate headquarters, then in Vienna, Virginia. They didn't bother to amend the policy when they opened up the Tucson office. We wondered if it meant we got the day off when DC was shut down.


I read somewhere that one of the status symbols for executive branch employees is whether or not you are considered an "essential" employee. So there are actually beaureaucrats who try to get their jobs to be considered "essential." These are the folks who have to come in when there is a blizzard. So, folks are fighting to be called "essential," which means they have to come to work on the worst days of the year.


We had days off from school when I was young due to flooding, but the closest thing to a "snow" day I ever saw was three years ago. It snowed, not even much snow (this is Tucson!), but few students showed up. It was decided to send everyone home. I, however, had to stay to do some CYA paperwork for one of the bosses. I guess I was "essential."


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?