26 grudnia 2008

 

Pierogi!

The Buffalo News ran an article on Christmas Eve where the writer talked about her memories of Christmas pierogi. I thought about my watching my mother and aunts as they made tamales for Christmas.

She included her mother's recipie for pierogi (that's the plural, no pole would say "pierogies"). I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I think I'll probably end up just buying the frozen ones and hope they cook right:

Estelle Zoladz’s pierogi

Dough:

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup water

Filling:

1 pound farmer’s cheese
1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste)
2 egg yolks

To make: Stir the dough together in a mixing bowl, roll it out flat on a floured surface, then cut the pierogi circles with a pierogi cutter (or rim of a glass; it helps if you dip the rim in flour), filling them with a dab of the cheese mixture and pressing to close.

To cook: Boil a pot of water, then drop your pierogi in, letting them boil until they float to the surface of the pot — that means they are done, so scoop them out and lay them on a plate to cool and dry a bit.

To make them better: Saute in a frying pan with a little butter and some sauteed onions, if you like those. Or, if you are making a lot for a crowd, put them in a baking dish with butter pats throughout, and put in a warm oven to heat.



I'm more used to the kind that are stuffed with potato, these seem more like a Christmas treat. I found a site that has suggestions for fillings, including cabbage and kapusta (sauerkraut) and the tried and true potato.

So, this leads to some ideas for Polish-Mexican pierogi. My father and I one time decided that papas con chorizo could just as easily be pierogi con chorizo. Just thinking about the whole incident makes my arteries clog once again. I suppose we could stuff pierogi with papas con chorizo. Hmm.

Something a little bit less deadly (at least long term) may be to stir fry the pierogi with jalapeños. I usually stir fry mine with bell pepper, so it's only a bit of a step up, right?


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
Awesome, I may just have to try experimenting...
-Fletch
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?