19 października 2008

 

Another Astronomy Related Post

I was listening to the Astronomy.com Podcast and they brought up a rather unfortunately named star: Beta Pegasi, an irregular red variable star that is currently overhead. The narrator on the podcast gave the traditional name, which I thought I heard wrong. When I got home, I consulted Burnham's Celestial Handbook.

Yep, I heard right. The name of the star is Scheat. That's pronounced with two sylables, but that really isn't that much better, is it?

Apparently, according to Burnham's, the name comes from an Arabic word Al-S'ad, so named because the star is in the foreleg of Pegasus.



Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?