04 sierpnia 2007

 

These Guys Really Ought to Talk to Me First

Went out to East Side bar Fenderskirts to catch my friends in Mozart's Sister (who have a CD coming out next month. In addition to musical talent, Amy Muñoz has learned to repeat such facts over and over again to sell stuff.)

The crowd, as much as drunks who are watching the clock trying to see if they still have time to find who they will be waking up next to can be, were into them. They played a couple of new songs. The sound was sketchy, with two songs nearly ruined by feedback.

But, why comment on the band I liked, when it is more fun to trash the band I didn't like?

There were four bands that played. I made it just in time to see the second band pack up, and I heard a couple of their fans harrasing bar staff about how uncool it was to cut them off. With so many bands playing, I can't imagine anyone thought that a band could play a full set.

The band that was up just before Mozart's Sister was called Worm. I wasn't sure if it was Worm or Würm until I checked the Weekly's site because the curiosity was killing me.

Gad, Worm. Bands that sound like Worm are a big part of the reason that I don't listen to KFMA anymore. Talented, but plodding with wailed vocals that said "God, we are so angry and depressed." Do kids these days hear a band on the radio and say, "Wow, I want a guitar so I can bore the tar out of people!"? I don't really get it.

One song featured guitarist Steve Brookbanks on lead vocals, which I'm assuming was his composition. It wasn't uptempo, but it had a sincerity that the rest of the songs seemed to lack.

I have my own set of rock and roll rules. They haven't been officially codified like the 33 1/3 Rules of Rock and Roll, but they are nonetheless necessary and should be taught in schools nationwide. These guys violated two of my rules:



Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
Actually when you mentioned Worm I thought of Edward Ricketts and the fact that was his favorite word. He even called his girlfriends that.

Although he meant it as an endearment and not something squishy and slimey or whatever reason this band picked. But since I avoid live music like the plague, I doubt I will be subjected to them. And this is a good thing.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?