09 sierpnia 2007

 

Stickin' it to the MAN!

So, I got roped into doing one of these surveys that radio stations do, because, heaven forbid, any of them play a song or two that someone out there may not have heard before.

I was in a room with about fifty other people. All of us in there were men, from not so young anymore (me) to middle aged. They paid us sixty bucks a piece. There were more than a few scruffy looking people that looked as though they really needed the cash. I wondered if the fact that such surveys would be stocked with desperate folks like this has any effect on the results.

They played us snippets from more than six hundred songs (our hand held computer devices kept a count) and we were supposed to rate how much we liked the song, or even if we recognized it at all.

Being that I'm one of these smart assed music mavens, I took it as the opporitunity to finally take out my frustrations on bands I am sick of, bands that are overrated by white boy rockers and bands whose fans I dislike. There were a few bands who I made a point of rating all of their songs a "1," meaning that I disliked the song:

Rolling Stones
Grateful Dead
The Doors
Eddie Money
Boston
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
George Thorogood & the Destroyers

Yes, I'm a complete jerk. Pink Floyd, yes, Pink Floyd. But, gosh Ted, Roger Waters is a genius. Yes, yes, I know. But that doesn't mean I am not sick of his whining, and it doesn't make the boring David Gilmore led new age band that came after his departure palatable. And Aerosmith. Everyone that has ridden in a car with me for any length of time knows my Aerosmith rule. The Stones...can't stand their fans. Can't stand songs like "Shattered" that wouldn't have made the charts had "The Greatest Rock Band (TM)" not done it. All the other bands on there are self explanatory.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
What is the big deal with the Rolling Stones anyway?

Oh and when does middle age start now?
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?