25 lipca 2007

 

Hey, at Least It Rhymes, I Guess

I found an old tape I have of 50's and 60's rockabilly. There's a song on there that has bugged me for a while by a guy named John Ashley. The song is "Born to Rock." The chorus has a line that makes little sense to me. Here are the lyrics, as purloined from the excellent BlackCat Rockabilly site:
And he was born-born to rock (yeah-yeah rock)
He was born-born to rock (well rock-a)
When I hear that guitar with a flippety-flop
Man I really know I was born-born to rock

"Flippety-flop"? I'd understand "clipity-clop." You know, clipity-clop would be that more frantic Tenessee Three thing that most of those guys did. Flipery-flop? What the hell is that?


Ashley, by the way, had an interesting career. He acted in several low brow juvenile delinquent movies, and played Frankie Avalon's pal in some beach films. Readers of this blog would know him better from various television series he produced, including one that he did the opening naration for. Ashley died in 1997.

I couldn't find video of Ashley performing "Born to Rock," but this clip is of him performing "Hit and Run Lover" from the "film" Hot Rod Gang. The movie also features Gene Vincent as "The Bandleader." The guy on piano kinda looks like Vincent, I'm not sure.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?