24 grudnia 2006

 

Kruschiki

Okay, in my continuing attempt to be a good bi-ethnic little boy and keep in touch with my heritage, I made some kruschiki today and the lucky among you may get to sample them.

In case you don't get them, here is the recipe:

1 lb flour
8 oz sour cream
2 oz bourbon whiskey
12 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
Confectioner's sugar

Beat the egg yolks until they are broken, then add the rest of the ingredients (except the confectioner's sugar). Remove the dough in a ball and roll it out very thin. Cut into strips about two inches wide and six inches long. Slit each one in the center and put one end through the hole to form a bowtie. Deep fry until they are about to turn a tan color. Drain on a paper towel. When they have all dried, sprinkle with the confectioner's sugar. Makes 8 dozen.


Now for reality: The ball of dough ends up very sticky and hard to work with. I end up flouring everything, which probably is against some rule. I also break up the ball into smaller pieces that are much easier to work with.

In the past, I had a great deal of trouble because the dough is just spongy enough that it is hard to roll very thin. When they are too thick, the outside ends up browning quickly while the inside sometimes remains uncooked. My dad let me use an old pasta roller that allowed me to get very thin kruschiki. This was also the one tool that the dough didn't stick to.

The things don't really look like bow ties. Maybe they make their bow ties differently in Poland.

I use bourbon, but I've seen recipies that recommend rum. Probably any liquor with a distinctive flavor will do, so stay away from Everclear. The alcohol burns away when the kruschiki are fried, at least that was a justification that a Mormon co-worker used one year when she wanted to eat them. I usually like to use stronger Mexican vanilla, but I didn't this year. I accidently used two tablespoons rather than two teaspoons however.

Makes 8 dozen my ass, by the way. Not that I counted, but that is never eight dozen. I may have made them too large, who knows?

By the way, singular kruschik, plural kruschiki.


Feliz Navidad. Wesołych Świąt.

Comments:
I think that the size might be the reason you do not get that many. Americans are used to vast sizes compared to the way things are over in the Old World. We are used to supersized fries and the like so you could make 8 dozen but they would be insanely small to your Americanized eyes.

Even as little as 30 years ago things were much smaller then they are now.

At least you have something interesting to make on Christmas morn, *I* would have only blood pudding or something along those lines or even worse-liver dumpling soup! Maybe because my step-mom is hispanic (a Martinez out of Colorado) and I grew up in the Southwest right next to Mexico but I would rather have Mexican food then anything else. English/German food is so unappealing.
 
I always rub a little olive oil or vegetable oil on my rolling pin to roll out any type of dough. It helps the "sticking" trauma.
 
Try putting it in the icebox, be sure to wrap it in saranwrap that has been coated with pam.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?