22 grudnia 2006

 

Insomnia

Couldn't sleep last night, so I ended up catching the re-run of this week's installment of Identity on Bravo. The secret is, you never actually have to watch NBC because it all ends up on Bravo or USA within days. At least when they aren't showing Top Chef or some other nonsense.


Identity is one of a series of new prime time game shows that all seem to have the same set designer. I guess the idea of all of these games, like their antecedant, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, is that things are high pressure, dramatic and intense. Whatever. The silliest thing in this game was watching the contestant make a guess and the person whose identity was being guessed would pause stonefaced for, like, I dunno, three hours while the silly music heightened the tension, I guess. These pauses are the most irritating part of the new game shows. David Duchovny made fun of this when he was a guest on a celebrity edition of Millionaire.

How much you won for guessing identities goes up on a scale that is exactly like Millionaire, and they allow for little cheats just like that show does.


I haven't watched a whole episode, or even more than two consecutive minutes of Deal or No Deal, but near as I can tell, it is just a more pretentious version of Let's Make a Deal. Like the rest of these shows, it has those long "dramatic" pauses and an extra-glitzy set that I guess is supposed to impress me.

I think that the show is part of some government program to keep leggy models employed. I don't know.


One of the folks standing stone-faced on the pedestals in the episode of Identity that I saw stuck out like a sore thumb. It was none other than Stan Lee. His "identity"? "The man who invented Spider Man."

Well, it wasn't hard to guess since he was the only one up there old enough to have done such a thing. But, "invented" Spider Man? What about Steve Ditko? Geez.

When they gave more details about him, they gave him co-creation credit for the Hulk and the X-Men. Co-creation might be strong word for his involvement with the X-Men, but I'll go ahead and give him credit for the Hulk.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?