12 października 2006

 

Jumper, Mozart's Sister, Gunrunners at Club Congress

Those Wednesday night shows. So well attended.

Last night's show featured a band called Jumper, who I had never heard of, plus Mozart's sister and the Gunrunners who I had seen before.

Jumper was a sort of female version of early power pop/punk bands like the Buzzcocks or Stiff Little Fingers. Some of their stuff was even reminiscent of, dare I say it, Sleater-Kinney's first album.

The second band was Mozart's Sister. By the time they started playing, there actually was a bit of a crowd. The sound was a heck of a lot better than it was the last time I saw them at Heart V. Phil Hemmo's guitar was a bit muted, but it made it a bit easier to hear Amy Muñoz's excellent vocals.

The set included all four of the songs off of their EP, including their contribution to the "I broke up with you so you suck" portion of the Rock lexicon, "(I Didn't Know Your Girl Was a) Crack Whore."

The crowd seemed to stream out before the last band played, the Gunrunners. Oddly, the Gunrunners basist is also Amy Muñoz. It seems whenever I see Mozart's Sister, one of their members is playing with another band on the bill. For example, they are playing October 21st at the Surly Wench with Sara Bellum; both bands feature Julie Bonner on drums.

Where Mozart's Sister is more on the pop side of the Rock spectrum, the Gunrunners are more hard rock in that slightly country fried sort of way. I have a special place in my heart for them because their lead vocalist is named Ted.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?