01 sierpnia 2006

 

MTV: Now Too Old to Appear on Real World

MTV has now turned 25. So, now we are treated to "Where are they now?" segments about Martha Quinn and Mark Goodman. I want to know what happened to Chyna Kantner. I also want to know what it is with 60's era San Francisco musicians naming their kids Chyna.

The easiest rock trivia question is, "What was the first video on MTV?" Everyone who asks thinks they are very clever. Well, I can out-geek you all because I actually own a copy of the Buggles album, The Age of Plastic, that contains the song "Video Killed the Radio Star."


Which begs another question for you, what ever happened to the Buggles? Funny you should ask. The band was actually no longer active when the video opened the MTV festivities in 1981. The entire band (which was only two people) joined Yes, replacing the departing Jon Anderson and Patrick Moraz. That line up only lasted one album, the underrated Drama, and they broke up at the end of the tour. Bear in mind, this all happened between the release of the single and the time it was actually shown on MTV.

So, instead of being all generic and posting "Video Killed the Radio Star," instead I will post Yes's video for "Tempus Fugit," which features Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes of the Buggles.




Okay, I relent. This is Buggles performing the song at the 2004 Prince's trust benefit. Interestingly, this was the first time the song was performed live.




Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
Mark Goodman was suppose to be on 96.7 or 98.7 or whatever the Peak is here in Phx as a DJ...they had weeks of adverts for him then he was gone in like a day. I found that passing strange.

The interesting thing about MTV that I remember besides the ubiquitous "Money For Nothing" video is the show Remote Control. I barely remember anything from it but I do remember the show. Oh and someone won "Weird Al's" car.
 
All the original MTV-Jays seem to be on Sirius Satellite Radio now, except for my favorite, JJ Jackson, who died a few years back.

I noticed that former MTV personality Allison Stewart is now a "serious" journalist on ABC.
 
I thought she was just a producer back then?

I always had a soft spot for Kennedy after the entire planet seemed to turn against her.
 
Remote Control was awesome. My favorite was the episode where he kicked off all of the contestants because they sucked.

Remote Control also broke Colin Quinn and Adam Sandler
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?