22 lipca 2006

 

Ill Considered Cover Versions, Part LXCVIII

I flipped on KFMA tonight, just in time for them to start a song. I heard a introduction that I recognized, but I thought, no, can't be.

It was a cover of the Genesis song "Land of Confusion" by Disturbed.

By the way, the song is performed with no apparent irony.

I never thought the song was that good in the first place. Why bring it back twenty years later? Are Disturbed so creatively bankrupt that they can't summon up their own relevant lyrics and now they have to turn to, of all people, Phil Collins for inspiration?


If you are going to cover Genesis, make it something interesting like "Return of the Giant Hogweed" or "The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging."


One thing that bugs me about the song: the line "My generation will put it right." Written and sung of course by boomer Phil Collins. This baby boomer smugness was eclipsed later when Billy Joel released "We Didn't Start the Fire."


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
When I first heard the cover I was taken aback completely. Disturbed is the antithesis of Genesis, and, in my opinion, ruined the song.
 
I had the opposite reaction to both of you. If you're not Rage Against the Machine or System of a Down, and want to be anti-war, you might try to cover Land of Confusion. For the first ten seconds I was appalled, but the rest of it I thought wasn't too bad.

I noticed while trolling iTunes looking for who played it that Disturbed and another band named Prism Theory released two similar sounding covers of Land of Confusion at about the same time. Kinda weird.

Everybody's looking for an anti-war message short of going all Natalie Maines. If you want to hear a modern, real anti-war song, check out "Everybody's Gone to War" by Nerina Pallot. You won't find it in the US, of course: click my name for the video from a UK site, because I can't paste a link in the comments field.

BTW, if someone is going to cover a song from "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", I'd say they should go for "It" or perhaps "Riding the Scree" or "The Raven".

I'm still waiting for someone to re-do "I Know What I Like", too.
 
Todd, a Gabriel-era Genesis fan? Who knew?

I wonder why no one has rediscovered "I Wanna Destroy You," probably the best anti-war song of the New Wave period. It ain't even that hard to play.
 
Your mission is clear Ted, form a band and cover that song.
 
If Ted forms a band and covers this song, he will be in violation of rule 25 of the "33 1/3 Rules of Rock and Roll," to wit:

"Obscure artists are frequently just as boring and predictable as mainstream ones. This is called the Robyn Hitchcock Rule."
 
Yes but thanks to Rcubed, Ted is no longer an obscure artist...he may not be Princess Diana famous yet, but he is working on it.
 
Um...he wasn't refering to me as an obscure artist...he was refering to Robyn Hitchcock as one. In addition to his solo work, he was for a time lead singer of the group Soft Boys who did the anti-war anthem "I Wanna Destroy You."

Kimberly Rew of the Soft Boys later hooked up with a woman from Kansas and formed Katrina and the Waves.
 
All of which Elizabeth could have figured out if she just consulted AllMusic.com or even Google. If I was curious about a reference to a name or some such thing, that is what I would do. It saves the embarassment of writing a snappy comeback like "I have never heard of the Human Torch."
 
Thanks for the info Ted. :)
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?