31 maja 2006

 

Dancing in Stilettos in the Snow

More videos from mah yoof. I found Marillion's "Kayleigh," which really wasn't a hit here, but everyone seemed to have heard it. It made it to #2 on the British Chart.

The lead singer of Marillion was a guy who called himself Fish. His real name was Derek Dick, which isn't much of a stage name, so I understand the need for the monkier. Fish was probably the second silliest rock name in the 80's, the first being Blow Monkeys lead singer Dr. Robert. Yeah, I don't want to remember the Blow Monkeys either.

Fish was later replaced, after numerous drug problems (I know, shocking) with a fellow named Steve Hogarth, who calls himself "H."

I remember Mark Goodman interviewing Fish on MTV about his influences, he said "Yes, Floyd, Crimson, Genesis..." sounding very much like a fifteen year-old describing his record collection, or at least someone describing this fifteen-year old's record collection. The Genesis influence could be seen most strikingly in Fish's Peter Gabriel style vocals. Apparently, Yes bassist Chris Squire was not too amused by the band, probably because he thought the lead singer's name infringed some implied copyright he had. The reaction of old line prog rock bands to these guys was a good preview of the amusing reaction of the guys in Led Zeppelin to Whitesnake and Kingdom Come a few years later.



Oh, and I also found this one. Can anyone identify that tartan?




Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
Is that Adam Ant?
 
It's difficult to make out the pivots in the plaid to figure out the tartan for you. I thought it might be a Stewart, but it's hard to tell and I don't think there's enough red in it for even one of the many Stewart tartans. Maybe if the picture were clearer...

Adam Ant, Elizabeth?
 
Um, Elizabeth...both videos are by the same band, Marillion.
 
Don't make fun of Gary Lewis, he's one of Jerry's kids. Literally.
 
Adam Ant is important for etymological reasons since his band traded members with Siouxsie and the Banshees and Ultravox.
 
The guys in Ultravox kinda dressed like Adam Ant, as I recall.
 
Hey, I was 4 in 1983, I just remember some stupid video with Ant falling out of a tree wearing a weird red British Redcoat jacket...and I have about thirty 80s cd mixes (by Various Artists!) and not one of them has any Adam Ant or Marillion songs on them.
I do wonder why I have about three German copies of 99 Luftballoons but not one English version...

And I would have to see the video to match the tartan to the Scottish family even though they only started with the family plaids in the 1700-1800s according to the book on the Scottish Clans I have.
 
Hey Elizabeth. If you're interested in Tartans there's a good site at http://www.tartans.scotland.net/. Btw, my family's clan (a line of Stewart) Tartan has been found on clothing remnants which have been dated as far back as 1061, so I think maybe a new reference may be in order.
 
Of course, that's the point. You aren't going to hear Marillion on a "best of the eighties" collection. You only hear bands that really need the money. Bands that are still selling records generally don't get put on such collections.

This doesn't explain the absence of Adam Ant, however. He isn't even on Rhino's "Left of the Dial" compilation. Maybe he never really mattered.
 
I never found him to be that good of an artist to be honest Tom. But you know how much my taste in music sucks. I even like Bronski Beat's Small Town Boy for heaven's sake.
Tasha-
The book in question is Scottish Clans and Family Encyclopedia by George Way of Plean and Romilly Squire. They mention that only a few clans have tartans dating much further back then the time period I previously mentioned so I was wrong about there only being them adopted after the real flood of clan tartans which started after 1820.
Is your clan the Stewarts of Appin, Atholl or Balquhidder?
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?