22 maja 2006

 

Absalom, Absalom, Absalom

I've spent waaaaay too much time on You Tube lately. One of the things you'll find are old music videos. I know that posting these violate You Tube's rules, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone.

This is Rush's "Distant Early Warning." Cable TV came to my neighborhood in 1983, and this was in heavy rotation on MTV in 1984. "Heavy Rotation" in those days meant that the video was only shown four times a day, and there was a bit more time to show actual videos, kind of like MTV2. This is a complicated way of me saying that this was one of the first videos I saw over and over again.

For all the talk that people my age try to pretend we were all sensitive and sophisticated listening to the Cure and the Smiths during the 80's, when I was fourteen, this effin' rawked.

One thing about this that I find funny now is that Geddy Lee feels the need to put the bass guitar aside and play the keyboard line. It seems silly to take the trouble to do this, since they aren't actually playing, right?




By the way, the talk from fundamentalists at the time was that bands like Rush and Kiss adopted those monikers because they were satanic acronyms. Come on! Everyone knew that Rush was a drug reference. However, the pentagram on their website has been altered a little bit so it doesn't look like, well...you know.

The most ridiculous was the allegation that the name AC/DC was a satanic reference, totally missing out on the fact that it was a reference to bisexuality. We could laugh at them back then because they didn't run any major portion of the federal government. 'Cept for Ed Meese.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
I still laugh at them. Being in charge does not make them any less silly...probably more.
 
Ah...Kristy...I'm still waiting for a reply to that e-mail four years ago!

:)
 
I thought by now everybody would know that "Rush" is actually an Ayn Rand reference!

Positive objectiveists that Rush are, I think I was more crushed to discover that than I was to discover that Beck Is a Scientologist.

"Obsolete, Absolute"
 
If only those 80's fudementalists had listened to

"The Sweet"!
 
Well...e-mail me through my page then...I can't remember what I said anyway.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?