29 kwietnia 2006

 

NFL Draft Silliness

Can someone please explain to me how the NFL draft makes for good television? I was reading over on Wactivist that he is basicallly shut down this weekend so he can watch this thing. The draft will be broadcast on ESPN from 9 AM until 5 PM, then for two more hours on ESPN 2. That is ten hours. Then, they broadcast again tommorrow.

I suppose people are so obsessed with the NFL that they find this entertaining. In the last week I caught two shows, one was some field goal kicking contest between college players. They had three reporters covering this event, and they would do fawning interviews with these guys asking them how hard it was to make the decision to leave college and go to the NFL. With so-called professional reporters feeding their egos this way, it's no wonder why sports figures act the way they do.

The other show was, get this, people playing a football video game. I'm assuming the people playing the game were football players, the expensive suits plus ball caps were a dead giveaway. So, people are willing to take time out of their lives to watch football players play a video game. This is considered interesting.

A couple of years ago, I caught a broadcast of an NBA draft lottery. Not the NBA draft, the drawing to determine which piss poor team from the previous season got to pick first. The least you could say about this silliness is that it only took 20 minutes, and they didn't have a team of reporters doing analysis.

I don't like football very much; I think that is apparent. However, if people wanted to spend a whole day watching a bunch of games in a row, I could see that. That actually demonstrates a love of the sport. This is obsession with the business and trappings of the sport. Its funny that the people who poke at me telling me that soccer is boring will be glued to their TVs watching a bunch of men in suits have what is just a fancy press conference.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
I could watch a bunch of geeks playing D&D though. That is what I did all through high school in fact only it was Magic: The Gathering.
 
while going around the channels today, they had a "draft recap" on ESPN where they are still discussing all the picks by all the teams...





*sigh* so the world cup is in a month
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?