17 kwietnia 2006

 

Garden Ruin

I haven't actually bought the new Calexico album, although I, uh, acquired it from my brother. I have only listened to it in my car, and a rather cursory listen at that. I've come to one conclusion:

Calexico 2006 = River Roses 1989

River Roses, Student Union Cellar, 1989Gone are the mariachis, which is a minus, but also gone are the instrumentals that can sound more like the band was tuning up. What we have here is a -gasp- desert rock album that would be easily recognizable by the guys I used to see wearing their Green on Red shirts back in 1991.

Actually, I still see those guys. And they haven't bought new shirts.

(If you don't believe me on the River Roses reference, listen to "Bisbee Blue" or "Letter to a Bowie Knife," then dig up that copy of When We Fall. Okay, better vocals.)

Okay...I haven't given it a strong listen...James Hudson has done that at his blog...complete with a rather strange rating system that I fail to understand (is Poblano Red a better rating than Poblano Green?)


This album comes out on the heels of a public spat between Giant Sand's Howe Gelb and Calexico's Joey Burns. Spat may be a strong word...Howe has complained on his blog and in at least one magazine article that Joey doesn't call him. Okay, this isn't Biggie Smalls vs. Tupac Shakur, since I don't think either party is armed, but the paralells to Metallica vs. Megadeth are there. But since this is Tucson, both sides will stew for a while and then forget the whole thing.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobacenia.

Comments:
I typed the tail end of that review till 5am last night. I don't know if it makes sense either.

James
 
Speaking of which, I find that Neko Case's "Hold On, Hold On" bears a resembelance in spirit and mood to the River Rose's "Not The One". I am certain that this is entirely coincidental, but it is easy to imagine that Ms. Case and Mr. Holiman are speaking from opposite sides of the same relationship.

Maybe I am over-thinking this. Neko would probably tell me that I am full of crap.
 
...or rather, the characters whose perspective they are singing from are in the same relationship. I didn't mean to imply that Chris and Neko were in a relationship.
 
I would hope not...Mrs. Holliman could kick Neko's skinny ass.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?