17 kwietnia 2006

 

Actual Polish Content

Today is Śmigus-dyngus or lany poniedziałek ("wet Monday," but not a New Order song), known among Polish-Americans as Dyngus Day. This is the day that commemorates the baptism of prince Mieszko I, and it is always celebrated the Monday after Easter. Originally, boys that were courting girls would douse them with water and strike their legs with twigs (not hard, I hope). Nowadays, it is mostly a reason for everyone to carry squirt guns.

There is more information on Dyngus Day and it's traditions at Wilson's Almanac. The holiday is a big deal in Buffalo, a time for political gatherings in Chicago, as well as a major to do in South Bend Indiana, of all places.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
>>Originally, boys that were courting girls would douse them with water and strike their legs with twigs<<

Those Poles sound like a mildly kinky sort. It's good to be proud of one's heritage.
 
Nice Dyngus Day post. I miss living in Buffalo and plan to get back there as soon as I can. Unfortunately, my Yucateco boyfriend won't go with me. I think the Mayan in him is scared of a little snow. Happy Dyngus Day!

Hasta luego, Pan Tadeusz!
 
Yep, that is very kinky...especially since most women did not have exposed legs.

I did just download the only New Order song I have ever recognized so I find the mention here odd.
 
Ted, that stamp is...disturbing
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?