30 marca 2006

 

Am I Speaking Urdu or Something?

Happy birthday to Scottish actor Robbie Coltrane, who is 56 today. Most of y'all know him from his role as Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies, a role he only took after the urging of his son. I know him from his frequent appearances on British comedy programs (programmes?) like The Young Ones and The Comic Strip Presents..., as well as movies such as Nuns on the Run and The Pope Must Die (is there a theme there?) He also starred in the excellent (and often disturbing) British detective series Cracker, where he played a gambling and drinking addicted psychologist named Dr. Eddie "Fitz" Fitzgerald.


Some samples from Cracker:
Fitz: So - you don't drink, you don't smoke, and you don't gamble. What do you do then? C'mon Michael, there must be something for you to confess! A little wank on the sofa during Baywatch isn't a mortal sin!
or...
D. S. Jane "Panhandle" Penhaligon: To be left at the airport, Fitz, that's one thing. But to be left by a big, fat, egocentric, middle-aged man, well, that's a different thing altogether.
Fitz: I didn't mind the big.
or...
Fitz: Gamblers Anonymous? That's created by wankers, for wankers!
Judith Fitzgerald: Graham is the leader in the local chapter.
Fitz: I rest my case.
or...
Fitz: It's really very sad - see, I'm a psychologist, and she's one of my patients.
Judith: I'm NOT your patient, Fitz! I'm your wife!
Fitz: Oh yeah! Hi there - didn't recognize you without your straight jacket!

Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
I absolutely love the Young Ones!!! I never even made the connection!
 
He wasn't an official member of The Comic Strip (thus not one of "The Young Ones"), but guest starred on several episodes of both programs.
 
Ten komentarz został usunięty przez administratora bloga.
 
Also that is indeed programmes. I get lectures enough on it to know.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?