24 stycznia 2006

 

David Tineo

Sunday's Arizona Daily Star carried an extensive article on David Tineo, one of Tucson's artistic treasures. Tineo, unfortunately, is losing his sight and will soon be no longer be able to paint murals like the ones he has up all over Tucson.

Nearly ten years ago, I met Tineo and one of his collaborators, Tomás Bandariés, at a street festival in South Tucson. They were selling prints of a mural that they surreptitiously painted on the wall of USWA local #616 in Clifton to commemorate the brutal 1983-1986 strike there. I consider the print, which both Tineo and Bandariés signed, one of my prize possessions.

Here is a small sample from that mural:



Do zobaczenia. Hasta la proxima.

Comments:
I too met Tineo a few years ago, and at the time I gushed how much I liked his work. He seemed very nonchalant about it, and just went about his business. I drive by his owrk on south 10th Ave near the South Tucson Rec Center several times a week. There is something everytime new that I discover, its simple beauty, although fading from our brutal az sun never ceases to amaze me. We are losing not just an artist, but a representation of who we are.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?