20 grudnia 2005

 

Oh Say Can You Get the Words Right

I attended the first game of the Fiesta Bowl Basketball Tournament last night. As we were reminded constantly, it is one of 50 community events held statewide associated with the Fiesta Bowl. Supposedly, they raise a bunch of money for scholarships. Everytime I hear that an athletic event is raising money for scholarships, it turns out that it is raising money for athletic scholarships. They want us to think that poor kids from Douglas will get the money, they don't want you to know that it goes pay for the NBA's farm team.

Oh, wait, they gave some scholarship money to the "Fiesta Bowl Queen" and her court. So, the money will go to the girls who date the athletes too.


Why am I so cynical?


Guy who sat in front of me for the second half wore a fraternity jacket and stank of stale cigarettes. Of course, he probably gets more dates than me because he is a total tool.


Every year, a board member of the Fiesta Bowl sings the national anthem at these games. These guys are always at the events wearing their yellowish jackets. I realize that they are volunteers, but they always mention their names at these games as if I had heard of them. They seem to be really nice to the kids that do the half time "spot shot" contest though.

I suppose that every year before the game, the Fiesta Bowl committee meets and sees which among their 160 members (I checked!) can sing, and that person gets to sing the national anthem. It always seems that people don't get the words quite right. Understandable, really, since the language is archaic. I think people these days are so used to songs that make no sense, that people don't pay attention to whether or not what they are singing makes sense.


Some common lyrical mistakes I've heard:

Before the game, I happened into Martin Bacal. Martin had been to the previous game that featured Western Kentucky and Central Florida. I made a crack about the teams, and he pointed out to me that they were once big powerhouses and had won several titles.

So, tell me, why does knowing the excruciating details of NCAA Basketball (where you have to know about hundreds of teams) make you a man's man, a real American, but I'm a pathetic geek that needs a life because I can name two teams from the Czech Premier League?


I wore a Poland jersey, because it was red. My mom and her friends gave me grief because they claimed it was orange, the color of Sam Houston State. The name of the polish team is Biało-czerwoni...white and RED. The shirt was red!


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
I think it is because in soccer you kick balls where in Basketball you have to use your hands.

And I could say why you are dateless but it would be mean.
 
not wearing soccer jerseys is a start. you think girls would talk to me if i wore that kind of shit out to a bar, event, etc...? pretending to have a website is a good angle too. works for me!

James
 
Yeah James, I'll be taking relationship advice from you...

:)

By the way, my login isn't working on Tucson Scene again. I tried the "send my password" thing...still waiting.

I've got an idea...talk to this woman Cia Romano, I think she's a web designer...:)
 
OUCH! I wasn't aware you could log into her site. Not that there is ever anything or has been anything new to comment on in the last 2 years (at least now she's noted which bands no longer exist--I'm surprised she'd know, considering how 'underground' she is about attending local events). Besides, I'll take useful, current, valid content over a snappy front page anyday. It's like when someone says, as a comeback to being called fat: "Yeah, but I can lose weight. You'll always be an stupid." Or was it ugly....hmmm...well, I think you get the point. I'll get that sexy design up you long for soon enough.


When you REMEMBER you password that I only give CONTRIBUTORS, you can ALWAYS get in.

I'll be mailing you your username and password momentarily. Try not to misplace it. Keep it next to some Eastern European soccer memento that noone in the real world gives a crap about.

Oh yeah...I wasn't giving you relationship advice--just how to get a date. You need to go on one of those before you can actually HAVE a relationship.

OUCH! Right back atcha.

You know this was all in good fun, right???

;)

James
 
Yeah...all in good fun...like the dead horse's head on your pillow.

:)
 
Crap! Your password somehow didn't work anymore. Weird. I better make sure my other contributors can still log in.

I just reset it. SORRY! Guess you didn't lose it afterall.

James
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?