29 października 2005

 

That Explains a Few Things

I've always been curious about why there is so much Calexico on the local NPR station during breaks, and heck, there seems to be a lot of it on national programs like Morning Edition and This American Life.

Well, the music works for those purposes, and the band has a certain level of "hipness" nationally. But I was shocked to hear the River Roses song "Phoenix 99" on the local NPR station as a filler. I mean, yeah, we all loved the song way back in 1989 when they used to play it on KFOX (anyone remember them?), but only scenesters like me still remember it, proudly parading our hand colored 7 inch singles of the song. Who the heck could be behind putting such local obscurities on the air?

So, I was listening to Arizona Spotlight, a locally produced show that comes on Fridays at 9:30 AM on KUAZ. All, the music, all of it, was Calexico. Geez. I have all of their damn albums, what more do I need?

And by the way, despite the name, Arizona Spotlight featured an extended story about Turkey.

Then, I hear the credits for the program. Produced by Jim Blackwood, whose other title is "Casadecalexico Website Administrator and Calexico Archivist," a fellow 80's and 90's scenester.

Jim, let's get some Phantom Limbs in there! Maybe Yard Trauma!


Do zobaczenia. Hasta la proxima.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?