28 września 2005

 

Surly Wench Last Night

The pool team had a "bye" last night. I had to explain to one friend what a "bye" is. I think she thought I said "bi" and was refering to some of the clientelle.


Anyhow, Todd Lybeck and I practiced for a bit. Then, "The Man Whose Head Expanded" popped up over the sound system. I saw no DJ, and I knew it wasn't on the jukebox. Turns out, it was some sort of player that picked songs randomly. Maybe the player was corrupted by Mr. Sociological Memory Man.

For those of you that haven't heard the song, it starts with one of those looped amateurish keyboard lines that were so popular with new wave bands at the time the song came out. Then a driving bass line comes in, and Mark E. Smith starts ranting. There is barely an identifiable melody line.

The keyboard line then goes from amateurish to totally incompetent. Heck, Flock of Seagulls did really well for themselves with two finger keyboard lines, and I think I read the keyboarding technique of Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran described as "You're soaking in it." But, it takes true genius to make that much gawdawful noise, and make it work in a song.

Sounds like hick wap, huh?

NB: I cleverly threw in lines from the song there. I didn't want to sound illiterate.


I saw someone there I hadn't seen in years. Her name way back when was Allyson Duval (yes, she's Fred's niece). She's married now and lives in Fremont, California. She said, "My mom and I were just talking about you."

Eh?

She and said her mom said that I "saved" her. It stemmed from an incident I barely remembered. I guess little gestures can make a big difference to folks, even when you don't realize it.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?