28 sierpnia 2005

 

Why I Like Soccer

I hear a lot of smack about people like me that like soccer. We keep getting told that it is boring. Funny thing, I hear this from sports commentators that love golf.

Yes, sometimes it is boring. The first half of yesterday's New England Revolution - DC United game for example. Dull as dishwater. Second half was a nailbiter though, with Taylor Twellman scoring in the very last minute of stoppage time.

But there are more subtle things that fans like me appreciate. The culture and structure of the game allow for certain moments that I really love.

Eddie JohnsonDouglas SequeiraFor example, yesterday's contest between FC Dallas and Chivas USA. I make fun of Chivas an awful lot. For one thing, I don't like the Mexican team that they are affiliated with. For another, they walked into the league acting as though they were going to show us yanquis how to play, then, they totally sucked.

They have been getting better as of late. In yesterday's game, Chivas spent most of the game even with Dallas, the second best team in the league. Chivas smelled a rare victory, and Dallas did not want to be embarassed in their new home field. Because of this, tensions were very high, with frequent fouls and a bizarre injury to Dallas 'keeper Jeff Cassar.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it looked as though Chivas player Douglas Sequiera stepped on a grounded Dallas player. Eddie Johnson ran to confront him, and the two almost came to blows. Referee Terry Vaughn gave them both yellow cards for the wonderfully named offense of "Bringing the Game into Disrepute." (I've never gotten a card for that one, although anyone who sees me play would think I deserve one.)

At the end of the game, commentators John Harkes and Rob Stone continued to talk about the game while the camera still recorded the goings on on the field. Johnson removed his jersey, and handed it to Sequeira. Sequeira reciprocated.

This is a traditional gesture that says, "I respect you as a player." It means, I wanted to take you apart in the game, but the game is over. I'll beat you next time. It goes far beyond the rather automatic "good game" handshake that we do in high school sports.

A bit of a small thing, but it's these sorts of things that make me love the game.

Brandi Chastain, 1999

They don't do it in women's soccer, but it would help ratings.


Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
I played soccor when I was a kid...it was annoying. I prefer to be in the stands.

And you only posted ONE comment on my blog, with nothing about the rash of new posts! Sometimes Ted, I think you do not care at all. :p
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?