21 sierpnia 2005

 

Special TPMP Preview - Part 1

I figured I'd maybe tell y'all about my memories of some of the bands that are reuniting labor day weekend at the Club Congress 20th Anniversary.

I'll go in alphabetical order, if I do five at a time I should be done on time, accounting for those days when I blow off updating this blog.

Al Foul & the Shakes: What, I saw them play last week. The only trouble I had was that Al forgot the lyrics to "Cocaine Blues." This would be like José Carreras forgetting an aria from Carmen. I mean, Al, you are playing rockabilly...

I really like them though.

Al Perry & the Cattle
: Yeah, we have this thing going on here about men named "Al" fronting rockabilly bands.

Al's appearance on the scene pre-dates Club Congress, it even pre-dates Nino's. His first album with the Cattle was released in 1982, and he has become a well known figure nationally among both rockabilly and "alt-country" musicians. Al even had a cameo in the movie The Quick and the Dead. I'm happy to count him as a friend.

I first saw the Cattle when I was in high school. I fell in love with them for two reasons: one was a song that they had called "4WDORV", the other was I really loved watching the drummer, Julia Mueller (I was 17...it is okay). She's recently moved to Montana. I don't know if she will be comming back for the show.

Al played on Friday, I missed the show though. Lately, he has been playing backed up by the his Cattle bassist, Dave Rhoades, and members of Calexico. They call it "Alexico." I thought a better name would be Cattlexico, but nobody asks me.

By the way, if you ever plan on discussing music with Mr. Perry, you'd better know who Link Wray is. Or else, he'll tell me later what a complete moron you are.

Band of Blacky Ranchette: This band started off as the Giant Sandworm's country incarnation. As the Giant Sandworms lost syllables and members, The Band of Blacky Ranchette developed a life of its own, but only played occasionally. After the death of Rainer Ptacek, it was said that Blacky Ranchette would never play again, but they released an album two years ago with Jon Rauhaus and Neko Case.

I only managed to catch them once, way back in 1991. I hung out with former Phantom Limbs drummer and then aspiring cartoonist (Hardy Har Comix!) Howie Salmon. Howe Gelb was in a mood that night. I introduced myself to him, and he blew me off. Salmon told me the same thing happened to him, and he'd known him for years. Gelb turned out to be a great guy in the end though. That show, by the way, featured Gila Bend and Allen, Tammy Allen's band then based in Phoenix. During the show, Tammy Allen announced that they were about to cover a Patsy Cline song, which prompted an amusing agument between her and Gila Bend leader Loren Dierks, who declared that she "better not do our Patsy song."

Bob Log IIIBob Log III: How the hell do I explain this guy? Just check out his website.

Broken Horse: The opened some shows I saw; better than thorazine to kill those moods. They moved to San Francisco to hit it big and haven't been heard from since. There is now a band in the U.K. called Broken Horse.



Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
So I updated my blog already...And again I know nothing of these bands...moving on.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?