25 sierpnia 2005

 

New Semester

I'm back in school this semester. Yesterday I walked into a political science class. Believe it or not, I don't like taking political science.

Anyhow, I walk in, and it turns out the instructor is Mayor George Miller. He said, "Hi, Ted," when I walked in. Note to all of you other politicos who haven't figured out if I'm "Todd" or "Tim," (this means you, Janice Brunson) Mayor Miller has never, ever, gotten it wrong, and he's in his eighties.

Yes, I still call him "Mayor."


It isn't always a good thing to know your instructor from before though. Last semester, I had a class taught by Alex Kimmelman. My mother and brother have both worked with Alex on anthropological and historical projects. So Alex says to me, "I expect big things from you..." Great, just what I need to hear. Evidently, I met these expectations, since I got an "A" in the class.



Here's an observation I've had during my time as a Pima College student. There's a perception that community college students are somehow not as sophisticated and intelligent as regular university students. "I Is a Community College Student" went the old bumper sticker. But you pick out the lazy, hardly show up on time, whiny, corner-cutting slob in the back of the room, I will guarantee you that it is a U of A student who is taking the class for "easy transfer" credit.



I went to the first day of Physics 216 today. I was happy to see it was the same book as last semester. I'm still smarting from having to buy a new book for calculus because of some pissing contest between the math departments of Downtown and West campuses. The instructor seems to be really into it. By Tuesday, I'll have Coulomb's Law down.



Check the second item in the Weekly's Police Dispatch. After my experience with the financial aid people at downtown campus, I can totally see where this guy is coming from.



Do zobaczenia. Hasta la proxima.

Comments:
Me? Snotty? Never.

It would take a phillistine like you to accuse me of that.
 
He wouldn't have called you "Ted" if he remembered you beating him out for DNC delegate a few cycles back. :)
 
He was over that one very quickly. I was the only guy ever to beat him in an election.
 
I was actually w/ Mayor Miller and Roz heading up a phone bank during the campaign. It was the day that Reagan died and I broke the news to him. They gasped and the phone bank was cancelled.

It's no big surprise the UA's Financial Aid office sucks. Don't try calling them because you'll here a repeated message until you hang up. I'm still waiting for my disbursement and word from the scholarship office. All I can remember when meeting with a recruiter during my senior year of high school was them telling me "money should not be the reason you don't come to UA." Maybe, but then tuition was just over $2000. Now, over $4000.

I'm taking a class at PCC East. Man, is it a drive! If the Mayor is your professor, I think I got his former assitant's assitant's assistant. To say the least, reading from a script to teach local govt. isn't the best way to do so.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?