29 sierpnia 2005

 

Katrina and the Waves

It's time to pull out that old Tragically Hip album, because, well...you know.


Tom and I were in New Orleans in 1995 for the Young Democrats of America Convention. That year, we were almost hit by, I think, Hurricane Erin (at first I thought it was the more infamous Hurricane Opal, then I looked it up and realized that that was much later. Memories can be so unreliable.) The storm changed direction and didn't hit us directly. It just turned out to be a heck of a lot of rain.

Two events had to be cancelled though. Tom and I were staying in the overflow hotel, so we had to go out to get to the convention. They had sandbags piled up in front of the doors. The doorman said, in his best "yat," "nothing to worry about, just a hurricane."


At the 1996 Democratic convention, Mike McHale, who was a lawyer from Lake Charles and the president of the Young Democrats of Lousiana, handed me a button that said "New Orleans 2000." McHale said, "We want to host the 2000 Democratic Convention, since y'all had such a good time at the YDA convention last year..." I reminded him about not only the hurricane, but the fact that I got mugged. He said "Don't worry, we've got all that fixed..."


Some of you may have heard that that was the convention where I nearly started a riot. The woman that made the comment to me that caused the trouble, ironically, was named Erin.


I watched them put people in the SuperDome on the Weather Channel. Funny, they had the field roped off. What for? People sleeping on the field will do more damage than 300 pound people grinding into each other? Football people are weird.


Do zobaczenia. Hasta la proxima.

Comments:
They did not have people sleeping on the field because they did not want anyone to drown if the water leaked in. The stands are much higher then the field.
 
Never know when those known as Erin will blind side you. Better keep a sharp eye, Ted m'lad.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?