14 czerwca 2005

 

Nothing About Michael Jackson

I watched a new show on TNT called "The Closer" last night. It stars Kyra Sedgwick as a hard-ass (to say the least) ex-CIA agent hired by the Los Angeles Police Department to close big cases. There was a reference to LAPD and the DA's office losing big cases, and that's why they needed to bring her in. Best line:

"Lieutenent, if I liked to be called a bitch to my face, I'd still be married."

That pretty much sums her up.

There was a plot line about her entire squad trying to mutiny on her because she's an outsider and didn't come up the right way. I think I've seen this, it was called Sharpe's Rifles, or Coach Carter or Prime Suspect, or.... Of course, this will all be resolved by the second episode, just like real life.

There is an ongoing thing with a doughnut. I didn't get it.

The mystery itself was engaging. Probably would have been more so for me if the rerun of Law and Order they showed beforehand didn't envolve a similar plot twist.



The supporting cast includes G. W. Bailey as Detective Provenza. Bailey starred in M*A*S*H as Sergeant Rizzo, the cajun who always had an angle. I loved this character. His character on this show is also destined to be one of my favorites.
  • Female Officer: Why do you call all women bitches?
  • Provenza: She's a murder suspect.
  • Female Officer: (muttering) Asshole.
  • Provenza: And proud of it.

I always end up liking the characters I wouldn't be able to stand in real life. One of my favorite British TV detectives is Dalziel from Dalziel and Pascoe, who is such a total sexist pig that he probably couldn't make it on American network television. This liking for these sorts of characters probably means I need therapy.



Calexico is playing at Plush tommorrow. The show starts at 8:00, with the Sweat Band opening. $12.00...yes, Joey and Johnny need to eat too. And Joey needs to buy a new sweater too.

Geez, none of us have seen Calexico play in...hmm...a couple of weeks.

It should be a good show though. Hopefully that friend of Jacob's that was totally drunk next to me at the last show won't be there. Or, at least he'll be sober.



Speaking of eating, the picture of the band above seems to have been taken at Las Cazuelas on 6th avenue. Las Cazuelas doesn't seem to have developed the hip following of Mi Nidito, Güerro Canelo or Pico de Gallo, all of which are a tamal's throw away. The food is better than Güerro Canelo, and you can actually get a seat there unlike Pico de Gallo or Mi Nidito. Friday nights feature a mariachi group, with Ariel Kramer from Mariachi Luz de Luna on viuela.

You basically are doing okay with any restaurant in South Tucson (yes, Güerro Canelo is not in South Tucson). Except for one: stay away from Guillermo's ("The Double L restaurant"...I think that moniker is stupid too.) I only went there once, when a co-worker insisted that he was taking me to the best Mexican restaurant he's seen in Tucson. I should have known; this guy was from New Jersey. Guillermo's certainly is brightly lit, however.

I'm not saying anything about Rigo's for political reasons.



Hasta la proxima. Do zobaczenia.

Comments:
Tedski!

I have wanted to marry Kyra Sedgwick since that Seattle movie! What was it called?

While I would never include it in a top ten list of her best features, I admit that not being Michael Jackson is a big plus for Ms. Sedgwick.
 
So you want knitters to make that one guy a sweater?
 
Sadness...
There is no post to the blog for the 15th and it is now the 16th! What ever shall I do. I was counting on someone to remind me that Veronica Mars was on today, but no! There had better be an in depth report on the Sweat Band and Calexico by high noon, or something not so fun or even maybe somewhat close to bad might happen to the one who would blog...
 
You know, blogging is not required to be done every day. Just frequently.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?