25 maja 2005

 

Spiderman Gets Married

Well...he's gone and done it, again. Former Inter Milan, Salernitana, Savona, Sambenedettese, Padova and New England Revolution Goal Keeper Walter Zenga has tied the knot. He has married a woman named Raluka Rebedea. I have no idea who this woman is; all the pages I can find about her are in Romanian. Judging by her looks, I'm sure she is a model, actress or some combination thereof. Also, model/actresses seem to be the only kind of woman Zenga hangs with. One of his exes was a woman named Hoara Borselli. I think he got tired of his friends saying, "Hoara? Did you have to pay her? Haw haw haw!"
Zenga was recently relieved of his coaching duties with Steaua Bucarest. Those of us who saw his coaching style in New England wonder why it took so long. I think Brian Glanville said it best when he said that he couldn't think of any player less suited for coaching except for Paul Gascoigne. I liked the guy though. I saw a game in 1999, when the 40 year old Zenga was "player/coach." I drove out to LA to see the Revs, and the Ultras let me sit in their fan section, right behind the goal. Zenga took up his position. I shouted "Zenga! Zenga!" He turned and I showed him my Revolution scarf. He gave a tentative wave. Then, the Ultra sitting next to me shouted "Zenga! Zenga! Zenga you sock! Zenga you sock!"
My favorite Zenga quote is from an interview he did with Sports Illustrated when he coached the Revs. It was about the difference between Italy and the USA, particularly our sexual harrassment laws. "In Italy, you can get stupid with a girl, in America, you get stupid with a girl, and you go broke."
In other 'keeper news, I kept reading on Big Soccer how once Martin Zuniga would return to the Chivas USA line up, they would start kicking ass. Well, poor, put upon Brad Guzan was scored on an average of twice a game. Zuniga was in for the game against FC Dallas and was scored on five times. Well...that certainly proves it. Chivas USA is gonna show all those MLS Clubs how to play the game.
By the way, Zenga was known as "Il Humo Ragno", spider man, and Zuniga is known as "El Pulpo", the octopus. I like the name "octopus", but "El Pulpo" just sounds icky.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?