27 maja 2005

 

Hypnotizing Chickens

I saw yet another Kentucky Fried Chicken ad with the song Sweet Home Alabama. I can't really figure out why they would use a song with the word "Alabama" to advertise Kentucky Fried Chicken. Also, given the song is about what a great guy George Wallace was, I wonder if this means that they don't want people like me buying their product.
This led me to think of other inappropriate songs used in commercials. Such as...
Born in the USA - Ronald Reagan's campaign wanted to use this song durring his re-election. Obviously, they didn't bother listening to the lyrics about alienation and unemployment. Springsteen said no. In the 1990's, New Jersey Governor Jim Florio wanted to use Born to Run as a state song. I think Larry Miller said it best when he said, "not too many state songs mention suicide in the first verse."
In the Navy - The Navy actually wanted to use this as a recruiting song. Once again, no one listened to the lyrics.
What Do I Get? - I knew I was officially old when this punk anthem was used to sell the Rav 4. It was a good indication that Gen Xers were now in charge, although the occasional Mamas and the Papas song still creeps into ads. Of course, the song is about a guy who can't get laid. Not exactly the way to sell a tough, manly vehicle.
Lust for Life - Just after Trainspotting came out, this song was on, I think, every commercial. Now, it is used on the ads for Carnival Cruise lines. The song is about heroin addiction. Way to go!
Billie Jean - Back when Michael Jackson was still black, he did a Pepsi ad. He changed the chorus of his monster hit to "We're the Pepsi Generation." I wonder if the folks at Pepsi knew that their new theme was based on a song about a paternity suit?
Sixteen Tons - The song is about the plight of a coal miner who no matter how hard he works, he will never be out of debt and the company will always own him. So, GE (who, in addition to being a big time manufacturer, are also in the credit buisiness) makes the song into an ad about how great coal mining is these days. The ad is complete with hotties with dirt on them.

If any of you have more examples, feel free to post them. This blog is only as good as your posts!
Way to remove any responsibility from myself, eh?

Comments:
I have always thought it hilarious that people play Every Breath You Take at weddings. The song is about STALKING! I have to go reread the lyrics to "Born To Run" because I did not know it was about suicide.
 
"Born to Run" isn't about suicide, but it mentions suicide.
 
I always enjoy GM commercials where they're desperately trying to appear to young Chevy buyers by playing Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride.

GM has some of the worst commercials on TV.
 
I did not know that Ted.
 
Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?