26 maja 2005

 

Do the Freddy...

I read in the Arizona Daily Star yesterday that the Department of Public Safety will start cracking down on people who discard their cigarettes out of the windows of cars. I know this doesn't seem like a huge issue, but with our ongoing drought, why would we let people toss an ignition source onto dry brush?
This also gets into an issue I have with smokers in general. If you want to make your breath smell like furniture adhesive and your teeth the color of rotten corn, I guess that's your business, but what amazes me is the lack of care people take with their discarded cigarettes. People who are otherwise decent folks just toss them on the ground, even if an ashtray is a few feet away. There is an ashtray in just about evey car, but the butt goes out the window. When I was at the U, the Student Union banned smoking in the Cellar not out of health concerns, but because smokers were putting out their cigarettes in the furniture rather than in the ashtrays. Why does common courtesey go away when someone lights up? This stuff bugs me way more than having to breathe smoke.
But...on to soccer news: There are evidently problems with the Golden Child. Freddy Adu is apparently causing trouble in the locker room. I like the guy, but I wondered when this would happen. Freddy is paid more than any other player, all of whom are much older and some have some rather impressive championships. Yet, he is the first one to fall when he gets bumped, he is the first to whine about playing time. Geez. The guy is damn good...almost as good as I was at his age (until I woke up...). I hope he does some growing up so he can actually be the next Pele.
My friend Brittany complained about the last incarnation of my page not including her. She's got a blog now. Nothing up on there yet, but I'm sure there will be soon.

Comments:
Yes, there are some smokers who are just vile human beings. We were walking into Target one day behind this woman and her (maybe 9 yr old) daughter. The mom was smoking like a chimney right next to her child, and then (then!) when they got to the door into the store, the woman, rather than take the two steps over to the trash (which probably even has an ashtray built into it) she just flicks it onto the sidewalk.
 
Hey, don't you think the smokers aren't just being considerate and making jobs for people? With the unemployment rate so high, we can only do so much.

:P
 
Heh, somehow, I don't think that this is what she had in mind. For the record though, I'll admit that there are probably just as many non-smokers who are also vile human beings. I was talking to one of my friends who smokes who was saying that she caught herself throwing a butt right out the window of her car without even thinking about it. It is something her dad always did and that she picked up when she picked up smoking.
 
Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?