30 maja 2005

 

Decoration Day

REMEMBER: Freep Cani's Blog!

I was at Surly Wench for a bit last night. I saw a band from San Francisco there named Giant Haystack. Thankfully, they were a cut above who I have seen there lately. I'd post a link to them here, but I can't seem to find one. I also couldn't find a entry on them on All Music Guide. How far down on the food chain does one have to be for that? Anyway, they were a prog-rock band. Think Belew-Era King Crimson. Actually, I've seen a couple of prog-rock bands lately, mostly sounding like either Rush or Dream Theater. Is there a movement no one has told me about?

They were technically good. The first bit was just the guitarist playing solo, but as he played some machine was sampling his riffs so he could accompany himself. Robert Fripp used to do this with some device he patented called "Frippertronics." I'm sure that its done digitally now and is no big deal. The one thing that I found goofy, which seems to be the problem with many bands, is the over-amplification. Maybe I'm getting old, but you are playing at a bar, do you really need a Marshall Half-Stack? I could see that stuff in a large club, but in a bar?

I think I promised that I would comment on the Chivas USA - Galaxy "Superclassico". As I've said before, it is not a "superclassico" until Chivas USA provides some competition. One interesting part, however, was that Los Angeles Mayor-Elect Antonio Villaraigosa did the first kick. I love the guy, but geez. First of all, he wore a Chivas USA jersey. So, he was taking sides against another team from his own city! This would be like Janet Napolitano showing up at a U of A/ASU game with a shirt that said "I bleed red and blue." A reporter asked the Mayor-Elect if it was proper to take sides like this, he said "Chivas invited me, when the Galaxy invites me to their stadium, I'll wear their jersey." Um, Antonio, they play in the same stadium. Not only that, he did the thing that politicians seem to do when they are supposed to wear someone's shirt. He wore it over his shirt and tie. Note to everyone: this always looks silly. He told a reporter that he never played soccer. This showed when he totally toed the ball to one of the Chivas players.

Bear in mind...I still love the guy. If for no other reason, he seems to have the right enemies.

Comments: Post a comment - Dejame un comentario - Piszesz twój komentarz

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?